Hi guys! So this is something that I’ve been asked about constantly since I started publicizing my makeup: How does your skin look so flawless?
Wanna know the secret? It’s not flawless at all! I just use an amazing combination of products every day to help not only take care of my skin, but also cover up any blemishes or discoloration I may have. I’m going to split this post into TWO parts because I want to go pretty in depth about each product and it will be way too long if I try to squeeze both into one post!
Before I explain my everyday routine, I want to state this disclaimer: ALL SKIN IS DIFFERENT! We all have different tones and types, so what works for me might not work for you. However, this is a question I get asked a LOT, so I figured I would give you a place to start. All the products listed below are products I have personally been using over an extended period of time, so I can vouch for the quality and effectiveness of each one. Hope you enjoy!
Part 1: Skin Care
My Skin Type– Combination (More Oily than Dry), Few Blemishes, Uneven, Redness in cheeks and T-zone, Normal-sized pores
Ever since I started taking makeup seriously about a year ago, I began to understand the incredible importance of skin care. Putting makeup on your face day in and day out without taking proper care of your skin is certain to lead to disaster. In high school, I literally use to just smudge bronzer all over my face with glittery eyeshadow and call it a day. I would wash my face, sure, but that never removed all of the makeup. Sometimes I would let it sit on my face for a few days, which would lead to a lot of oiliness and breakouts. However, I would just attribute it to the way my skin was, like there was nothing I could do about it. Now, at 21 years old, I’ve FINALLY come to appreciate and take care of my skin. That’s the first step:
Love your skin.
None of us are ever going to be Kim Kardashian. The majority of use will never be able to visit a dermatologist to get prescription skin care or laser skin treatments. So we make due with what we have. You’re going to break out no matter what. You’re going to have to deal with what the changing seasons and weather does to your skin. You’re going to have to live with your skin. And you’re going to have to love it. How do I show my skin that I love it? By taking care of it! Here are the following skincare products I currently use for my daytime/nighttime routines.
MY SKIN CARE ROUTINE
- Makeup Wipes
Before I even think about washing my face, I use Neutrogena alcohol-free makeup wipes ($4.99 at Target) to remove the heavy stuff, like eyeliner and lash glue. Just washing my face alone will take twice as long to remove that stuff, so I find it easier to wipe it away before I wash my face. Using an alcohol-free wipe is gentler and more cleansing to the skin. It won’t irritate even the most sensitive skin. All in all, these wipes are pretty universal for all skin types. Additionally, these wipes don’t leave behind that nasty oily feeling that others might.
2. Face Wash
I have two different face washes that I use. They are both cleansers for sensitive skin. If I’m taking off full glam makeup, I will use both. If I’m just washing away an everyday look, I’ll only use one. I find that combining the two really gets off the extra dirt and makeup that I might not get otherwise.
- Bobbi Brown Extra Bright Foaming Cleanser ($35 at Macy’s)- I’ve been using this for probably 8-9 months now and it is such a dream. It’s a little pricey, but it’s so worth it. It glides onto my skin so gently and when I rinse it off my skin looks like it’s almost glowing and feels super hydrated. I have a lot of unevenness in my skin tone, and this has really helped to even it out a bit.
- Philosophy Purity Cleanser ($36 at Macy’s)- I received this a couple of months ago as a gift from Preen.Me ‘s VIP program as a part of their “Cleanse, Peel, Treat” kit and I have to say it is unreal. It smells so lovely and you honestly just feel SO fresh and clean after you use it. The formula is gentle, smooth and hydrating. I’m just obsessed with it. Beauty Guru’s like Jaclyn Hill and Manny MUA rave about this stuff, and I’m 100% with them. This is what I’ll use as my everyday cleanser if I’m using only one.
Both of these products I use with my Vanity Planet Spin Brush. It has 4 different brush heads, but I use the cleansing brush because it’s the most gentle, while still removing all the dirt and makeup left on my face. It’s almost exactly like the Clarisonic that everyone uses, but I got it for MUCH cheaper with a coupon code from an MUA I follow on Instagram. I never bought into the whole spin brush craze, but decided to try it out when I really got into the skincare game, and I will NEVER look back. There is a noticeable difference in my skin ever since I started using one. It’s crazy, it’s like I have a whole new face. My skin is significantly smoother, I have less blemishes, and my makeup goes on sooo much easier.
I have a few favorites when it comes to using a face mask or peel. I try to switch it up every now and then depending on what I feel my skin needs: hydration, cleansing, exfoliation, etc. There’s a mask and a peel out there for everyone! I don’t always have the time to use a mask or peel every single day, but these are a few of my favorites:
- LUSH Cosmetics Cup O’ Coffee Face & Body Mask ($20 at LUSH)- My bestie gifted me this for my birthday a few weeks ago and DAMN is it amazing. I LOVE coffee so the fact I get to rub it all over my face is a huge deal. The coffee and cocoa grounds are super rich in Kaolin, which cleans out your pores and leaves you looking fresh. I like to use this in the morning if I have time!
- FREEMAN Feeling Beautiful Cucumber Facial Peel-Off Mask ($4.29 at Ulta)- This brand is absolutely BOMB. They have an amazing line of face masks and peels, ranging from charcoal to avocado to mint and cucumber! I like this peel in particular because it is so cooling and fresh when it sits on my skin. It’s a little tough to remove, but afterward it literally feels like I shed off all the dirt and grime that might have been on my face.
- PHILOSOPHY Microdelivery Triple-Acid Brightening Peel ($70 at Ulta)- This is part of the Philosophy “Cleanse, Peel, Treat” kit that I was gifted. They come as individually wrapped pads that smooth and brighten your skin. I saw the effects after literally just one use. They are SUPER pricey, and you only get 12 pads in the pack. So, I definitely recommend these only if you’re serious about skincare. But I’m absolutely in love with them.
You cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, skip moisturizing!! No matter what! If you have dry skin, moisturize. Combination skin? MOISTURIZE. Even if you have oily skin, YOU NEED TO MOISTURIZE. Believe it or not, the more you moisturize, the less oily your skin might become! It’s true. Your skin is producing these oils because it thinks your skin is lacking moisture. If you keep it hydrated, you just might save your skin and produce less oil! Here are my favorites:
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel ($38 at Sephora)- This has been my ride or die holy GRAIL lotion since I can remember. Like, I’ve been using it ever since I stole it from my mom’s vanity in like 8th grade. I will never get sick of this formula. It’s honestly just the perfect combination of hydration. It’s meant to restore balance to combination to oily skin.
- PHILOSOPHY Renewed Hope In A Jar Moisturizer ($47 at Ulta)- Again, this is a part of the “Cleanse, Peel, Treat” kit and is just as amazing as the first two products. I use a generous amount all over my face and neck. It has clinically proven skin renewal effects and I absolutely love it. I can’t even describe how awesome my skin looks since I started using this, you’ll just have to see for yourself!
- Clinique Repairwear Anti-Gravity Eye Cream ($41 at Sephora) I have to use an undereye cream. It comes in handy considering I have huge bags and creasing under my eyes. It’s genetics. I know I don’t have wrinkles (yet) but it doesn’t hurt to start preventing them now! This cream gives me the little lift and firming that I need. It definitely helps with creasing as well! It’s super effective to use an undereye cream before applying concealer!!!
That’s it for my skin care routine! Who knows, this might be different in the new few months. I change my routine based on what my skin needs. I definitely go heavy on the moisturizer and hydration in the Fall/Winter, so I’ll definitely do an updated routine for Spring/Summer! I know that a lot of these products are really expensive, but I find that splurging on the big bottles for skin care is worth it because it lasts year round! Additionally, your makeup doesn’t look half as good unless you’re really taking care of what’s underneath.
Stay tuned for PART 2 where I discuss my current